Hey everyone, welcome to another installment of SAHD recipes. Today, we’ll make Pad See Ew noodles! This was my favorite noodle dish when I was a kid. It’s easy to make and kids love it. You only need a couple of exotic ingredients, fish sauce and sweet dark soy sauce. Those are used frequently in Asian cuisine so they’re good to have in your pantry.
Oh, “see ew” means soy sauce so the name means soy sauce stir-fry. In this case, it’s the sweet black soy sauce. Check it out!
*See the video at the end of the post if you need some visualization.
Prep time: 10-15 minutes
Cook time: 10-15 minutes
- 16 oz rice noodle. You can buy 2 pounds of fresh rice noodles from most Asian grocery stores. I usually get the one that’s not precut. I think the noodle is a bit moister that way. In this recipe, I use half the noodles and save the other half for the next dish. Next week, I’ll post the recipe for Rad Nah noodles.
- a few cloves of garlic – minced
- broccoli – cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 carrot – sliced
- chicken – cut into bite-size pieces
- Optional – 2 eggs
- Optional – white pepper or black pepper if you don’t have any.
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons sweet dark soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
Chicken marinade in these
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon michu or any cooking wine
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- A wok and a spatula.
- Or you could use a big Lodge carbon steel skillet like I did. That worked pretty well too.
*I add these links to Amazon so you can see what the ingredients look like. These items should be much cheaper at your local grocery store.
- The noodles – cut the noodles into the 1-inch strips. I used half of the package. Microwave it for 2 minutes, flip it over, then microwave for 1-2 more minutes. Once the noodles are soft, separate them into strips. See the video below.
- Marinade the chicken in the marinade sauce.
- Mix the sauce ingredient in a little bowl.
Cooking Pad See Ew Noodles – see video!
- Turn the heat up to medium-high. Once the wok/skillet heated up, add vegetable oil, add garlic, and stir it around for a few seconds.
- Add chicken and spread it around. Try to put the garlic on top of the chicken so the garlic doesn’t burn.
- Once the chicken is mostly cooked, add broccoli and carrot, and stir it around for a few minutes.
- Make a space in the middle of the wok/skillet. Add a little vegetable oil, add eggs, break the eggs, and cook for about a minute.
- Add the noodles right on top of the eggs. Add the sauce and mix everything together.
- This is the tricky part. Try to coat all the noodles with the sauce. If you see big clumps of white noodles, add sweet black soy sauce there. Try not to flip the noodles around too much because they will break into little pieces, be gentle. Watch the video below!
- Once everything looks good, you can char the noodles a bit if you’d like. Just leave the pad see ew noodles in skillet for 1-2 minutes with the heat on. Don’t burn it, though.
Serve the noodles on a plate or a big bowl. You can sprinkle a little sugar on top and/or add some Siracha hot sauce. When I was a kid, I loved to sprinkle some sugar on the Pad See Ew Noodles. I added some sugar for Junior and he upgraded the dish to 4.5 stars.
New video at Eat by 40!
If you like this post, subscribe to our new YouTube channel – Eat by 40! I’ll do cooking demos, share our travel, review eateries around the world, and more. Thank you!
Source: Retire By 40
Republished by Blog Post Promoter