The Crown Estate has announced that it has been awarded WELL Certification at the Platinum Level for its head office at No 1 St James’s Market, London by the International WELL Building Institute. The Crown Estate earned the distinction based on seven categories of building performance—air, water, light, nourishment, fitness, comfort and mind—and achieved a Platinum level rating.
There are only 11 platinum projects globally, including in the U.S., Australia and China. There are currently five WELL Certified projects in the UK, three of which are gold and one of which is silver.
The Crown Estate’s head office, located on the first and seventh floors of the Make Architects designed building at No 1 St James’s Market, has taken several steps to secure accreditation. The office layout maximises access to natural daylight for all desks to support circadian rhythms, and the majority of the desks allow people to sit or stand.
Project features that helped The Crown Estate achieve its Platinum WELL Certification include:
- Procurement of catering to ensure we are delivering a healthy variety of meals for staff;
- Internal green walls and planting to promote biophilia, as well as moss on the walls to control acoustics;
- Filtered water available at various locations to ensure hydration;
- Selection and procurement of furniture, fixture and finishes (eg paints, chairs, etc) with low VOC content to maintain healthy indoor air quality levels;
- Provision of different types of workplaces and spaces including a library, contemplation rooms, and provision of a number ergonomic desks to meet the different needs of people;
- High-quality base build features including fresh air rates, visible stair case, acoustic performance, and the location of the building to local amenities, local parks and public transport.
The Crown Estate is also aiming for WELL Certification for a further two buildings in central London, both the Marq on Jermyn St as well as 1 Heddon St. It has also produced a guide to sustainable fit-out.
The post Crown Estate HQ becomes first office in Europe to achieve WELL Platinum Certification appeared first on Workplace Insight.
Source: Work Place Insight
Republished by Blog Post Promoter