By: Lyn Troyer
What about those that are making money? How do their websites make money and generate an income for their owners? Below are a few ways the top 50 websites make money.
Yes, we went from billions to 50 to help you choose the best monetization methods for your site. Please note that most of the sites are not listed just the business model.
1. Ads: The majority (36) generate an income by using ads. Despite this becoming a vulnerable business model, it’s still growing. Some rely on private ad modules run by volunteers, but most rely on Google.
Ads are easy to set up and operate for the most part. Google Adsense for instance, is a code that you simply add to your pages and then begin making money once the ads are clicked.
2. Affiliate programs: Sites that don’t rely on advertising (and even those that do) concentrate on affiliate programs. Amazon.com was a favorite among the 50. It’s a trusted website that offers a variety of products.
Like ads, affiliate programs are easy to maintain. Most programs have their own marketing material so the affiliate only needs to place the merchant’s banners and textlinks on their site and then generate traffic.
3. Premium accounts: Subscription site owners give people the opportunity to set a free account; they then offer upgradeable options that offer more than the free account. Before they can use the site some web owners make user’s sign up on a less expensive account and then offer the premium account.
Subscription sites are very popular and profitable because they provide a residual income. You can sell to the same customer over and over again.
4. Virtual products: Software, ebooks, videos and music downloads are taking precedence on the internet. One increasingly popular ways is ebookas and they are predicted to overtake print books.
Whether or not that’s true is debatable but more people are searching for virtual products for entertainment and education. Sites like clickbank.com offers a plethora of ebooks and software downloads in virtually every subject.
While ebook.com lets users find their favorite (and new) print books in digital format. And no one can deny the fact that itunes has overtaken CD stores.
5. Clothes and accessories: While a number of people do sell physical products like cellphones. Clothes were actually producing the greatest number of profits. Perhaps it’s because women tend to shop more, and more women are shopping online.
Many of these women are not seeking electronics but fashion. It’s not just eBay that is seeing a growth but online versions of offline shops as well as small independently run online shops.
There are more monetization methods one could choose from to help their websites make money, but of them these are the most profitable and secure. When you are competing against billions of websites to make money you want the ideas that work.
Republished by Blog Post Promoter