Hey everyone! Welcome to another episode of our SAHD Cooking show. Today, we’ll make a very easy and healthy dish – stir fry veggies & Tofu. This basic recipe works with many vegetables and protein. I make broccoli with chicken with this same seasoning pretty often. You can use broccoli, cauliflower, napa cabbage, snap peas, and whatever vegetable you like. Check out the video at the end of the post and smack that like button!
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 10-15 minutes
Ingredients (4 servings)
- half a head of cabbage
- one carrot, grated or sliced
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- Optional – a few slices of ginger
- Tofu. I used fried firm tofu in the video. It worked really well. You can use chicken, beef, or pork as well.
- 1 teaspoon of cornstarch to help thicken the sauce. Mix cornstarch and 2 tablespoons of water in a little bowl and set it to the side.
- 1 tablespoon of oil
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon oyster sauce
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sweet black soy sauce
This is pretty mild. You can always add a bit more seasoning if you want the dish to be more flavorful.
*I add these links to Amazon so you can see what the ingredients look like. These items should be much cheaper at your local grocery stores. These are affiliate links and we may receive a referral fee if you buy something from Amazon.
- A wok is very useful for this dish. You can use a pan if you don’t have a wok.
- Cut up all the vegetables and tofu.
- Mix the fish sauce, soy sauce, sweet black soy sauce, and sugar in a little bowl.
- Heat up your wok or saute pan.
- Add oil. Then garlic and ginger. Cook for a minute.
- Add tofu or meat. If you use meat, cook until the meat is 90% cooked.
- Add vegetables. Add 2-4 tablespoons of water.
- Stir fry for 3-5 minutes, until the vegetables soften.
- Add seasoning sauce.
- Stir fry for a minute. Mix everything together.
- Stir the cornstarch mixture and add it to the dish. Turn off the heat.
- Stir for a minute so the sauce thickens.
- Serve with rice and other side dishes.
Video at YouTube
Subscribe to our food channel and hit the Like button for RB40Jr!
Kitchen tools recommendation
- Skillets – I love our small Matfer Bourget black steel pan. We use it to cook eggs. It is so much better than any nonstick pan. These carbon steel skillets will last forever, unlike the nonstick pans. We also have a bigger Lodge carbon steel pan. It isn’t as nice as the Matfer Bourget, but it is more affordable. You can’t go wrong with either. Although, if I had to do it over, I’d splurge and go with Matfer Bourget. It’s just nicer and I use the pan very often. It’s worth paying more.
- Knives – My favorite kitchen knife is our 5? Calphalon Santoku knife. I use it for almost everything. If I need a little more power, then I use our 6? Calphalon chef knife. That one is Mrs. RB40’s favorite. You really only need 2 knives in the kitchen.
- Rice cooker – I cook rice very often so a good rice cooker is essential. Many people rave about the Zojirushi rice cooker, but I don’t like the nonstick inner pot. Those nonstick surfaces never last. So I went with the TATUNG rice cooker instead. The inner pot is stainless steel and it should last forever. It makes great rice. They also have a smaller/cheaper 3 cup version. I think we got our cooker when it was on sale.
- Oyster sauce – I recommend Mae Krua brand. It is high quality and affordable sauce from Thailand. The key is to check the ingredient on the bottle’s food label. The oyster extract should be the first ingredient. Many cheap brands have water and sugar listed first. As defined by the FDA, “the listing of each ingredient in descending order of predominance.” Same with fish sauce. For fish sauce, I recommend Tra Chang, the scale brand. This brand is actually my cousin’s family brand. It’s high quality.
Source: Retire By 40
Republished by Blog Post Promoter